02 May 2011

Food for the brain and feast for the eyes - Internet fodder for You

So, Internet crawling should be called a legitimate hobby, because the gems we unearth sometimes are truly priceless! I came across some things that I simply have to share with you guys. Touching, thought-provoking and down-right weird, these stories and posts are Internet gold!

50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind : This article is a list of questions, some familiar and some new, but all questions that will get you thinking. Asking you about the most important things in life, questioning the direction of your life, and the very need to slave at that job that you so hate!

Some questions that really got me thinking:

1. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?

2. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

3. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?

4. Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?

5. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset?  Does it really matter now?

6. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?

7. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

I can't say I have an answer, but when I'm old with lots of gray hair, and a dozen grandchildren milling around me, I hope I have a clue... :)  I do have the answer to question 6, though. It is quite evident in the sudden shortness of breath that I am now experiencing - a sure effect of trying to be aware of your breathing. Try it! The minute you become aware of your breathing, you can't breath... we homosapiens are weird, no?

Speaking of breathing, here are 7 Things You Won't Believe You're All Doing Wrong. Don't read this article if you are also eating, because apparently the first and foremost thing we have no clue how to do correctly, is orchestrate our bowel movements!! There. I have said it as euphemistically as possible without making you barf! So, after you're done with that sandwich or the slushie, gander into this link and read how we adults have no idea how to do things right! By the way, you'll soon find out that babies are ninjas when compared to us lesser mortals!

Even if you have never said a prayer in your entire life, no matter what God you pray to, or whether you believe that there is no such thing as the big Gee Oh Dee, the minute you have a child, you feel like you really need someone stronger on your side, helping you look after that infant when you can, and watching out for that rampant teenager when you can't. Even uproarious comics like Tina Fey feel the need to pray for the little person put into their care. Here is A Mother's Prayer for Her Child, by Tina Fey. Although I would definitely skip some of the church-unfriendly language when I talk to God, I think the sentiment of that prayer is my feelings exactly. The few hours I am away from Debbie are the most worry-filled hours of the day. When she went to stay at my mom's last week, I lay awake a couple of nights wondering whether she was eating well, having her bowel movements (Sigh....as you grow older or have kids, bowel movements seem to become more and more of a top priority!!), falling down too often and scraping her knee, being safe when she travels with my family...etc etc. The worry list, my friends, is endless. Fact of LIFE! This prayer, in the article, is one I could repeat everyday till I have grandkids.... Then, it's Debbie's turn.

Okay, enough with the heavy sentiments and the teary eyes! Now for some awesome Internet fodder that are totally deserving of a thousand email forwards!

Here is a story of how clever people can be! Hiding the Lockheed Plant during World War II. This is a story of how soldiers, during World War II, hid an entire geographical area (an aircraft plant) from the eyes of the enemy through an ingenious method. You won't believe what you are seeing, when you look at the pictures. I had to go back and read the article a second time to actually grasp the magic and genius of it all! Take a look.

Finally, I love pencil drawings. My brother ans sister do a mean drawing, and I have always envied their ability to create beauty with a pencil and paper. Me? I need water colors, brushes and high quality paper to create my art. I am high maintenance, I guess...sigh. Anyway, my husband is really good with a camera. He takes the most breathtaking pictures I have ever seen. His specialty is nature. Put him behind a camera lens, and I don't even think you need to feed him! Hence the clash of the high and low maintenance groups! So, when I found this article that merges pencil drawings and photography, I was enamored. This is some really clever stuff - Incredibly Creative Pencil Drawings vs. Photography. Enjoy!

These links are courtesy Stumbleupon - another really clever thingy on the WWW!

1 comment:

Karen Xavier said...

Interesting, to think that man invented the toilet bowl to make life easier, sigh... what else are we ruining by becoming a highly civilized race....
Tina Fey's prayer as interesting, and yeah they took great pains to hide a plane, that was really something!

Skinny Kids Can Be Healthy Too

My husband and I were waiting at the bus stop, and an old lady who we've never met before came up to us and said, "Don't you ...